Thursday, May 24, 2007

A STRAY THOUGHT

Where would you go if you didn't know where it was? And what wouldn't you do if I didn't take you there?

Every system of prescriptive behaviour (like morals, ethics and forms of protocol) can be said to be imposing form upon a dynamic reality; and the gap between the two are what creates the tension that can excite an artist. The metaphor I like to use is that of the hand leading one into the woods; being led astray isn't necessarily being led to an unwelcome place, it's more likely to be something you'd dream - to me, it's that which is familiar that is the most unwelcoming - so if I'm going to be leading you anywhere, rest assured it won't be to a place you've been to before.

1 comment:

M said...

"so if I'm going to be leading you anywhere, rest assured it won't be to a place you've been to before"

I am pricked with a sense predatory undertones in that statement and I am faced with a wary exhilaration.